For the fun of debunking, duty of skepticism, and love of science
Skeptical 12 Step Program
A rational alternative to Alcoholics Anonymous's twelve steps by Dr. Steven Novella and George Hrab
- Admit that our cognition, perception and memory are flawed, and pseudoscience and gullibility are rampant.
- Come to accept that the process of thinking critically is more important than any belief.
- Acknowledge the utility of methodological naturalism as a way of empirically understanding the world.
- Make a thorough study of the various mechanisms of self-deception, cognitive biases and logical fallacies, and recognizing that we are all susceptible to this at any point and in any argument.
- Acknowledge to ourselves, others and on the Internet that we are skeptics.
- Vow to listen to the Skeptics' Guide to The Universe (SGU) every week without fail.
- Listen to the Geologic podcast too.
- Endeavor to examine our premises & logic and correct for any misinformation or misconceptions we may have spread.
- Correct errors and false statements on blog and forum posts unless doing so would make you a dickish troll.
- Continue to keep all opinions and conclusions tentative and revise them in the face of new ideas.
- Seek through study and research to improve our critical thinking skills and keep up-to-date on basic scientific literacy.
- Having become more skeptical ourselves, we will engage in skeptical activism and outreach to help make the world a more skeptical place.
Some editing and paraphrasing by Torsten Pihl.
From The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe (SGU): Podcast #374 @46:07